The name of the Paulaner brewery refers to the order
of friars that resided in Neuhauser Straße in
Munich who were part of the order
of Saint Francis of Paola. The monks had brewed beer for their own
use since 1634. The beer that was permitted to be sold on holidays
Bock style which gained local fame.
After the abolition of the Neudeck Cloister in 1799, the building
was converted into a penitentiary. Franz Xaver Zacherl, the brewer,
purchased the former cloister brewery and continued the "Starkbier"
tradition with the product
Salvator, which is Latin for "Saviour".
In 1861 the "Salvatorkeller" (Salvator cellar) was opened upon
Nockherberg. In 1928 the brewery merged with the Gebrüder Thomas
brewery creating Paulaner Salvator Thomas Bräu. 1994 saw the
acquisition into the Kulmbacher brewery group with the affiliated
producers Plauen and Chemnitz. A daughter company is the Auer Bräu
AG Rosenheim. Paulaner belongs to the BHI (Brau Holding
International AG), a joint venture between Schörghuber Ventures
(50.1%) and with the Netherlands'
Heineken N.V. (49.9%).
Each beer stein has a manufacturer date, this date represents
the year in which the mold was run for that Brewery.